Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Went to gym at lunch today. BFF Keshia made me. I didn't want to go. She just raved about the treadmill so I thought why not. I set the treadmill with my real weight, selected calorie burner program, and was off to a wonderful start on a level path at 1.5 mph. I thought this isn't so bad. Look I can walk without holding on to anything. Aren't I just something. It was a peaceful, tranquil two minutes before all you know what broke loose!

The level path all of sudden went into the rocket launch mode and began to incline until I thought I would fall backwards. In addition, the mph jumped up to 4.0!!!!! DO YOU REALIZE HOW FREAKING FAST THAT IS FOR THE GYM VIRGIN??? I tried to hold on for dear life but the rails on this thing were too wide. All I could do was grab onto the cup holder, prayed I didn't break a nail, and hope for the best; all the time muttering "I am going to get Keshia for this!"

After that trauma, I went back to my old pal, recumbent bike for another 15 minutes.
Then I took my sweaty, hobbling self back to the locker room to assess the damage and question for the umpteenth time do I really want to do this? What do I care about the fitness hype? AGH!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Omniscient One said...

Keep it up! You are doing great! The first time I got on a treadmill, I was probably 19 years old and a bit overweight. Could only walk/jog 3.5 mph and now I get my cardio from a 30 minute blitz on the treadmill at 50% incline and an 8 mph face-paced jog almost everyday. You will get there. You will also start loving the fitness hype too. :) Don't get hung up on the day counter. Try to find one exercise you like (from previous posts, it sounds like the bike) and try to do it for at least 20 minutes daily. After that, you know you have gotten a dose of cardio for the day and you can switch up the rest of your workout to keep it exciting. You are already doing better! Congrats on mowing the whole yard! Also, one soda a day shouldn't hurt as long as you are drinking plenty of water too. Although classic coca cola is the WORST soda to drink. If that is what you are drinking, you are taking in 40g of carbs and 150 calories that you could eliminate by switching to diet coke or coke zero. Either one will have a little bit of sodium, but try one of these to eliminate those extra carbs and calories. I have always been told for every 100mg of sodium you ingest, you should cancel it out with 8oz of plain old H2O. So you would only have to drink half a glass of water to make up for one can diet coke that contains about 40mg of sodium. And yes, the sodium is what causes you to retain water. We HATE sodium!!

The Sister said...

do what YOU can, not what the person next to you can. MAIN THING IS TO GET THE HEART RATE INTO THE ZONE - whatever speed that is on a treadmill for YOU. (don't stroll if you can do more - "tranquil" walking means you're probably strolling). start out on just flat, no incline. use the manual setting. you will eventually get to 4 mph, but will work your way up to it. doing great! keep it up!