Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sweat is running down my back into my pants down my leg and into my socks. I am about to pass totally out.

I go down to Lake Willastein in Maumelle. Going to walk the 1.1 mile portion of the track around the lake. Start out strong even tho the sun is blaring its 95 degree self. The city evidently thinks these goose or geese or whatever the crap they are supposed to be are an enhancement to the scenery. THEY ARE NOT. They are little squawking, pooping, annoying creatures. One section of the track was covered with poop. Not to mention it stinks to high heaven. I hold my breathe and get on with it.

Am walking into the full sun and start to lag, drink water and anticipate the shady part of the track. Some old geezer on a bike passes me. I go thru the shady part and get to the last 1/3 of the track only to find the city of Maumelle has barricaded the bridge which connects the two track sides that I want!!! I stopped and watched some other people to see if they would ignore the barricade. The goody two shoes that they are, they did not... they walked on. I wanted so bad to go over the barricade. I mean the bridge looked fine to me. But I was afraid it would break or something so I trudged on. Now I have to take an alternate path that makes the walk twice as long. I drink all of my water, and am one step away from filling my bottle up in the lake and drinking it.

It is at this point I know how people in the desert see mirages, I thought I saw my car 3 times. When I meet people on the track everybody feels obligated to say something to me. Like how's it going? hot ain't it? Now here's deal, when you see a fluffy woman trying to suck the last drop out of a water bottle that has collapsed from the pressure it is not likely she can respond to your banter.

All total, I walked for 1 solid hour. I finally get back to the car and tell my husband the saga and he says "well that's great! you got in some extra walking!" (insert your own answer here. I will let you imagine what I told him)

2 comments:

The Sister said...

I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING AS SCOTTY! The city of Maumelle has managed to make you walk a little farther - and you thought I was a trainer nazi! YEAAAAAA - you walked for a solid hour! That's an amazing amazing accomplishment!

The Sister said...

P.S. - and how high was your heart rate?!?!?!? Faster, woman! I hope I was in your head - this after I reread the Big Dam Bridge posting and once again saw how you made me sound like Attila!